The lady in the bus: Generosity and fear in a mix..

So this young lady seated next to me in the bus comes back with biscuits, potato crisps and water and offers me...

I panic...

I read note 9 at the back of the ticket that states 'passengers should not accept food from strangers

I ask myself many questions:
Is she the stranger I am warned of in the ticket or she is now a seat mate?

I decline the offer and she insists and being a good African, I take the snacks then I panic again...

I wonder, what if its drugged?
What if I end up in busia stripped to my natural and unexploited form and left with nothing at the bus offices instead of kisumu which is my destination?
What if I black out and wake up I'm hospital with some of my biometric strongholds missing?

I bite the biscuits, smile and say thank you then bite the remaining biscuit in my hand...

I panic once more...

I ask God, why is she taking milk and giving me biscuits and crisps? Why the water? Is it to help in absorption of the drug in the bites?

I open up the packet of crisps and take down seven down my throat and smile again then...

I panic! Why did she give me the one with pepper? I say to myself,"kwani nini?" ... I take down another six and take a gulp of water and smile outwards and panic inwards...

I talk a little then ask myself is it was a good idea to board a transit bus instead of one stopping in kisumu as the final destinations? In kisumu if I am drugged maybe someone who knows me might pick me and cover me up and take me to her house to recover... In busia, my pictures could just end up on Facebook faster than I would be taken to hospital...

I smile a little then I tell myself, this lady looks lighter than me so even if she drugged me she won't be able to carry me off the bus and being taller than her took away the panic...

I mix the remaining biscuits and crisps and drown them with water, I sneeze and say to myself,
" not all strangers are bad on the bus, maybe she assumed my being slender to being thin and thought why not feed some hustler'...

I make it to Kisumu safe and sound with my brand new pot belly intact..

Comments