My Barber: The massage and the laughter...

So I walk into my local underground barber shop in the shopping center... I notice an abnormally long queue of clients waiting in the seats. 

I smile..

The ladies two ladies who are always in the barber shop smile and say hello to me and ask where I disappeared to. I say hello back and tell them I was left behind in West Africa after I boarded the hustler jet last month and had to come back by bus...

We all smile...

I take a seat and wait my turn then make a discovery as to why we are abnormally too many customers and why the ladies were glad to see another customer, me.... After the haircut, the ladies not only wash the client's head as they used to when I last visited but also do some 'half body massage'. They massage the head,the shoulders, the back of each client and that is what is taking so much time...

Hehehehehe! maiye denda! I laugh inside me in some international language then I smile outwards....





My turn comes for the haircut and I hear my internal movie track begin... tereng tereng! tereng tereng!... it goes on an on as I have the barber with his clippers all over my big fairly round standard issue african head....

I smile at the barber.... Hehehehehe! I laugh inside.....

Then I panic!

This type of massage tickles me a lot and I will have to laugh uncontrollably to the delight of the masseurs and my own embarrassment in front of the other male clients in the waiting seats. I devise a plan on how to avoid this shame I will place myself in....

I smile at the barber and smile at the lady waiting for my head, shoulder, neck and back...

They both smile back and I am done with the haircut.

She washes my head which uses a lot more water than many smaller 'town issue' head before me and when she motions that I move to the massage zone, I panic and hatch a plan...

I take out my Blackberry and call my HTC and return both to the pocket before she comes my way. The HTC rings, I pick it up and tell whoever is 'calling' that I am just on my way to the house in 2 minutes. I make sure she hears that part very clearly and turn to her and inform her that I have to meet someone waiting at our gate. She is evidently disappointed and asks me to come back again next time and I respond in the affirmative.

I cannot allow anyone embarrass me by tickling me and having me laugh uncontrollably in public while it appears to many including her that it is a massage. I take off and get home in time to watch my favorite 'Papa Shirandula'

Comments