Mistaken Identity

Last evening, my flight from Nairobi touches down in Kisumu and within minutes the cab driver sent to pick me gives me a call. I inform him that I am off the plane and just about to come out in the open and before I am done he cuts me short and says he has spotted me. 

Okay, I get very impressed that I am going with a cab driver with X-ray eyes since I am unable to tell how he can see me behind a wall when I am waiting for my luggage to come through the conveyor belt. Nonetheless I say thanks to God for sending me such a gifted and rare Driver.

I walk out of the terminal hoping to be picked by the guy who said he spotted me and end up waiting for about 5 minutes trying to connect with him on phone. He then appears short of breath and apologizes as he leads me to his cab. He explains that when I called, he was at the entrance and saw some Big Important-looking man he assumed was me. He said he matched the voice with the size and was sure that was me without even asking.

It is only when he got into the cab with the 'other me' that 'I' asked him why on earth he came to pick 'me' with an NZE. He panicked and called his dispatch and was told he must be carrying a different Arody and came back for the real me, Tom Arody Himself with kilos of apologies and explanation. I just smiled and recalled the many ways people who have only heard my voice on phone assumed that I am an owner of a very important size.

Comments