'Tom, you have gained weight...'

"Tom/Arody you have gained a lot of weight lately, umenona sana (you have become so fat) these days! Your wife must be doing some pretty good job pumping food into you"

These have basically been the opening lines for most of the conversations I have had with people who have known me over the years and now accuse me of breaking the fatness barrier. Yes, those who have known me for say 5, 10 years or more have known me to be some skinny dude who had no chance on earth of ever gaining a few kilos by myself. What many never knew about me is that I weighed 65 kilos for a period of 10 straight years; never added a kilo or dropped a gram which made me consult a Medical Doctor to confirm if I was normal with a constant weight. That my waist size was also held at a constant 28" for 14 years is a story for another day and mainly known to Andrew Owuor.

Indeed my answer to the allegations that I have gathered weight is always met by a smile. My trademark smile which Obama stole from me and Larry Madowo has perfected to a point some rumours started flying that he looks like me. Luckily those rumours never went to the point of alleging that I could be his father. Behind my smile, laughter and jokes lie a story.  A story of me which many people have never known. A story of ruthless determination and ambition to get what I deserve in a journey that was steered by me but beacons placed by a large number of people who played a big role in making me be.

I am not a successful man or husband by any standards but I consider myself a story of hope and encouragement to those who have never believed they can and those in the journey to being what they believe they are meant to be.



I was born and raised in a polygamous family of 10 brothers and 7 sisters and I hold the rare position of the 7th born of my mother and the 7th son of my father. Just last night, my mum was telling us a story of how each of her children were born and I am the one who held the envious title of having been born at the gate of our parents' house in Umoja 1 House number J109. My mother was with her co-wife who mid-wifed my birth and I was never taken to any hospital thereafter. Last night I complained a lot why I was not even taken just for a checking to confirm that my head was of the right size or that my nose was pulling in the right amount of Oxygen. I got to understand why I was the only of my siblings who never had a birth certificate. I remember the clinic card I got under my name was bearing the remarks, 'the baby boy looks fine and healthy, he can now start taking uji'.

Fast forward, I went to Unity Primary School from Pre Unit to Class 5 West and then to Ndira Primary School in Bondo to class 8 and had a stint in St. Mary's Yala where I was taught to shine in everythig everywhere and to be a gentleman. Any encounter with an alumni of Yala will attest to the shining and being a gentleman. It is in this school that I met humble students who would clothe me and feed me whenever poverty failed to reach.



I forever remember Thomas Austin Obulutsa and Milham Ochieng' Abungu who would always give me their school shorts to wear for years as they believed I deserved assistance. For those who wonder why I am always comfortable in shorts, today you get to know how 4 years of wearing shorts made me hooked. I will never once forget Simon Midianga who would actually hand me a set of uniforms to wear for keeps while in form 3 and 4 together with a pair of shoes which I would wear to my first two jobs after Yala.  My misery was taken away by these young boys who have since become men and seen blessings in quantities that cannot be measured by a ruler or a thermometer.



Fast Fast Forward; I got a job with the County Council of Bondo where I encountered three gentlemen who were my bosses and shaped the course of my life. Mr. Ochieng' Oneko who would always remind me to say, 'Yes Sir' to my seniors if that is what made a boss happy. Mr. Omondi Were who insisted that I would be better as an Administrator and Mr. John Oloo (R.I.P) who kept telling me I could become anyone I wanted. My college education was paid for in full by the Council in an unprecedented move. I have always remained proud of that part of my life I can never erase from my history and professional life.

It is during my teaching job that I was to meet one friend who was to become a brother the name Frank Agot. He has been one of the most ambitious people I have ever met in my life who would always light a fire on me to try out some new challenge after another.

It is after graduating from Kenya Polytechnic that I would have a colleague and friend of mine called Maurice Oyaro come with an advert from Kisumu looking for a HR Officer with 3 years experience, with a degree, having NGO experience and having worked with not less than 50 employees. Oyaro insisted that I had all NRHS was asking for in terms of my performance and not necessarily my number of years experience and a diploma. I never believed him but he insisted that being his HR, he knew what I was capable of. I would land the job later with nothing except a colleague who gave me courage and made me go for it. That was my entry into HR Practice in the NGO sector. It has been 7 years and into the 8th and counting. Thank you Maurice for believing in me and making me believe in myself.

It was at the NRHS job that I encountered a Board of Directors that I would trade anything for. It is here that I met Prof. Robert C. Bailey, Prof. J.  Ndinya - Achola (R.I.P) and Prof. Kawango Agot who would write me emails that I had the ability to be a Prof just like them and that I needed to get a degree in HRM for which they would pay 100%. I asked to pay some little of the cost so I could at least own part of my professional education. The Board agreed to pay 2 for each 1 shilling I paid and when this news was passed to me, it was Frank Agot who paid my first semester fees for B. Com at The University of Nairobi in full. He had just got a job in the USA having relocated from staying with me in Kisumu. The amount of blessings Frank Agot has been receiving in is life cannot fit a lorry! Thanks a tonne my brother and I always owe and dedicate my success to you and the NRHS Board for believing in me.



I once attended three job interviews and landed all the three jobs in reputable International NGOs and had to pick one of them which ended up as a bad choice. I learnt my lessons and moved out and moved on. It was while on a break from employment that I was called my one long time friend and a HR colleagues Lucy Gacheru to try out a job at PATH which she insisted I deserved and actually got.
My inspiration in life has been the people who have believed in my potential and given me a chance to showcase it and become what I have managed to be. As I close the year 2014, I take huge cognizance of these great people among others whose impact in my life cannot be quantified. I thank them all in a special way and pray that you may receive even greater rewards for charting the course of my life.

My parents and siblings for being a beacon of support whenever I needed one, may you live for another 200 years. To my wife Lydia, you hang onto me even when I would be unreasonable and too stubborn but still believed in my intention. May the next year be an even greater year.

To the most composed friend I have ever had in my life Francis Onditi, your ability to reason out situations is only second to that of my dad and brother Killy (R.I.P). My buddies Sam Ogalo for always challenging me to new levels, Remjius Miyai for never getting tired of calling me even when you just want to say hi. Andrew Owuor, for being the friend whom people would refer to as 'Yule rafiki wako wa macho ine'; Wherever Andrew was seen, Arody was assumed to be around. Engineer Adrian Ouma for being my best man in our wedding and keeping touch always. It was a great honour to have you with us.

Sam Okoth for showing us that one can become what s/he has set eyes to be. You do not have a limit of ambition and keep it up. Frank Abuor, Neville, Justus, Donnex; you are a crop of young intelligent men who will go very far and achieve a lot. Adhu for always telling me in Bondo and later in the years that I could always become better. Dr. June Odoyo for reminding me of how annoying my work emails could be and in the same breath tell me to keep that style of honest and point blank communication.

To all of my friends, family and colleagues past and present as well as future; you made 2014 and the past be and now I welcome 2015 with confidence because of you all! Bring it on 2015, the year of abundance. Welcome the year of double joy, the year of our baby girl, the year of Subaru and the year of success.


Happy and Prosperous 2015!

Comments